Monday, July 11, 2011

The "why" of my blogging.


Blogging. For someone my age blogging seems a little intimidating. (By the way, I’ll just let you guess my age, but here’s a hint, I unfortunately spent many a high school dance dancing to disco music.) So, the burning question is (or maybe it is just a smoldering question), what am I doing writing a blog?

I was sharing some experiences I had this summer, while attending a camp for disabled adults, with a friend. He commented that my experiences at camp, as well as living daily with degenerative Multiple Sclerosis might be something interesting and encouraging to others. I’ve thought about what he said and decided I’d give it a try.

Here is a spoiler alert - I am a Christian. I will talk about God. So, don’t ever say I didn’t warn you. The only way I could ever have made it though the last 12 years is with God’s loving arms to carry me. He has made beauty from the ashes of this illness. This Monster, a common nickname for MS, has stolen so much from me, but for everything I have lost, God has given me back so much more. Twila Paris says it so well in her song, “This Thorn” –

Thank you for this thorn embedded in my flesh,
I can feel the mystery, my spirit is made fresh.
You are sovereign still and forever wise,
I can see the miracle opening my eyes…

(Refrain)
…To a proud heart so quick to judge,
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges.
The veil has been torn
And I thank you for this thorn.

Thank you for this thorn, fellowship of pain,
Teaching me to know you more never to complain.
Thank You for this love planted in my side,
Faithful, patient, miracle opening my eyes…(refrain)

I never thought I'd say it without reservation,
But I am truly grateful for this piercing revelation,
Of a proud heart so quick to judge,
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges.
The veil has been torn,
And I thank you for this thorn.

And if You chose to take it, I will praise You,
And thank You for the healing in Your name,
But if it must remain, I thank You for Your rod,
Evidence of Father-love for a child of God.

I join You in sorrow,
So much less than You have borne,
And I thank you, really I thank You,
Lord I thank You, I thank You for this thorn.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    May the act of sharing your experiences be a blessing to your soul! You are a hero. Thank you for putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete