Friday, January 6, 2012

Thoughts on Prayer...

I think practicing the presence of God is good for our prayer life. I am forced, by my disability, to have times where I am forced to wait. I let those times of waiting be times when I can be open to hearing His Spirit whisper to my heart those things I need to be praying about, people I can be praying about. Silence is hard to find in our culture. The silence I am talking about is a soul silence. We can be in a noisy waiting room and still find soul silence if we decide to be still and just be. No cell phone, computer, reading material, TV, etc. It is during the times of soul silence when God can put people and prayers on our heart.

Practicing the presence of God is really about taking the time to invite God into our life. When we stay connected to God like that, it opens the door for the Holy Spirit to speak to us, to use us, to refresh us. Paul tells us to pray without ceasing. It doesn't mean shutting ourselves into a room all day and kneeling by our bed to pray. It means we should see ways we can bring prayer into our daily activities. Prayer needs to flow naturally from us as we go about our day.

When someone asks me for prayer, I stop and ask them, "May I pray for you right now?" I've never had someone say no. I usually pray a short, simple prayer right away with them and let them know I will be praying for them as the Lord brings them to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment