Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Truths That Sustain: Truth #2...

Truth #1 was - His Amazing Love: He loves me more than I’ll ever know. In Truth #1, I talked about God’s love, that it is never-ending, all forgiving, always patient, unconditional and sacrificial.

His love is amazing, but when we add power to His love we realize that everything that happens in our lives is in His loving/powerful hands. It means that I can trust Him to do and allow only what is best for me, despite what it feels like to me.


How can anyone trust a god who is loving, but has no power to back it up? Some people would like us to believe that God is loving, but He is powerless. They believe that, because it is their way of dealing with the wrongs of the world. “Well, of course God loves us, but He doesn’t have the power to control the bad in this world. If He was powerful enough He wouldn’t let bad things happen, would He?” It’s a good question. One that I hope to answer with this and future truths.


First, let’s establish the fact that God is all-powerful or omnipotent, as the Bible tells us. More specifically, He is in control, or has power, over my life.


Truth #2 – He Is In Control: There is never a moment when He isn’t in control.


“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11, NIV


“Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139:16, NIV


"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1:16-17, NIV

If He is in control, of both the big and the small, then I can let go of the tight hold I have on my life. My loving, powerful, heavenly Daddy is already at work, using the bad and the good in my life for my best.


"You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways." Psalm 139:3, NAS

“You scrutinize my path,” is more accurately, “you winnow, ventilate, or sift my path.” This verse is literally saying that everything that happens to me is sifted through His loving/powerful hands. Everything, yes everything, happens because He has allowed it or caused it to happen.

I’ll be honest, this truth both encourages me and scares me. As C. S. Lewis said, “We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.”

Thankfully, I am not expected to go through the bad times alone. I have a Helper and He gives me grace and peace to survive, but those are truths yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment